Monday, January 18, 2010

Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg

The article I read is Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg. I found it very interesting because this article is mostly about how Lois Weisberg builds up her networks happening in real life rather than on the social media. At first glance I was a little bit surprised since I expected all the articles would lean toward to be more web-oriented. However, at the second thought, I remembered that Prof. Melander mentioned in class last week that social network does not always have to access to Internet. Sometimes we narrow our “social network” definition to only Web 2.0, yet we forget ultimately it matters people interaction regardless of any tools you use.


Lois Weisberg is a type-rare, extraordinary, but nonetheless. She is the kind of person who seems to know everyone. In today’s Web 2.0 era, she is defined as ”super-connector” (from Clive Thompson on Real-World Social Networks vs. Facebook 'Friends') or “central connector” (from The People Who Make Organizations Go- or Stop). She may not be the most famous business woman or celebrity but she is successful. She is successful because she becomes one of the most valuable assets among her family, friends, colleagues, or anyone in her life circle. And most importantly, she is happy helping people. That is her nature.


I found some characteristics of Lois to make her success:

- She is willing to help everyone at anytime.

- She has the talent recognizing people. She knows how to find out resources to introduce people with similar personality or interests or professions.

- She is open-minded. She will not be judgmental for anyone and is good at finding out people’s strengths no matter what their social statuses or races are.

- She does not network for the sake of networking. She seems to meet everyone because she wants to know them sincerely so that every connection happens naturally.

- She thinks outside the box. She accepts creative ideas and then come up with more creative and constructive ideas.

- She comes from much diversified backgrounds.

- She is down-to-earth, knows what she wants, and is doing things in a day-to-day way.


Lois’ social enthusiasm is born by nature. In some deep and less than conscious way, it is innate and spontaneous and entirely involuntary affinity for people. She knows everyone because she just cannot help it. She opens her heart for everything and everyone. This attitude even leads her to initiate a charity Gallery 37 which was given the Innovations in American Government Award by the Ford Foundation and the Harvard school of government.

I once had an interview, and the interviewer shared to me what he defines success. He mentioned that some people are full of curiosity for everything, coming from diversified backgrounds, willing to give others a hand, and feeling passionate for job and life. These people like Lois are not only doing goods for themselves but also for the world. They will be naturally in the center of the social circle.

3 comments:

  1. Paige, I also had a profound moment when Prof. Melander asked the class if the room we sat in was a "social network." Often when I hear "social network" I think about the web, not real life. But I think that's a dangerous trend. If we don't start paying attention to real world interactions, we may become droids one day talking like robots.

    Lois Weisberg is a great example of a person who values real life social networks and has made a solid contribution to society. I wonder if she uses the online social media to complement her real world networking to make her even more effective?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I didn't even realize until I read your first paragraph that I equate Social Network to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. I was talking with someone the other day about a marketing campaign and he asked for my thoughts. Along with some traditional methods, I mentioned Social Networking. I was using it as a word to sum up everything. Later on in the conversation the guy says, "Well, what about Facebook?" and I paused and was a little upset because I thought the guys wasn't really listening to me.

    Going forward, I'll have to be more mindful of this. I'm feeling like an idiot now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically when I think of "Social Networking", I don't think of internet sources at all. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned. Lois Weisberg sounds like a very dynamic individual. Her style of networking makes me think that some things can't be taught, and that perhaps her ability to network so thoroughly and rapidly comes from simple sincerity. That is a rare thing nowadays, with the fast-paced lifestyles we all lead.

    ReplyDelete