Sunday, February 21, 2010

I can't help but wondering...

I finally personally experienced the strong power of Facebook.

I am hosting the first Annual Taiwan Film Festival in greater DC area. After I created an event page for this festival on Facebook, one day I got an email from my friend saying that a journalist of HK Phoenix TV (the top three TV station for Chinese audience) is very interested in reporting this event and would like to interview me briefly as soon as possible.

I was amazed by how the words can be spread out though social media. However, it is not good enough to have this social media tool to extend your networking; it matters if you try to expose yourself to the public as many as possible to have a chance to reach out a good networker.

I was not very close to Iris, the girl who connected me and the reporter. The first time we met when we were both ushers at a banquet in October 10th 2008. We did not become friends on Facebook until she recently recognized me on February 14th 2010 Chinese New Year Dinner Event.

I can’t help but wondering what if I did not go to the banquet in 2008? What if I did not have a chance talk to her on that day? What if I did not attend the Chinese Dinner Event? Will everything be the same like now?

The Savvy Networker by Liz Ryan mentioned one thing reminds me most: Networking isn’t hard! No, it is not hard. However, you can’t network simply for networking. It should happen naturally and sincerely. Just as how Iris and I met, I definitely did not know she would help me so much on doing publication for the Film Festival. Although building relationship is a long way to go, the return will ultimately happen someday – at some point when you might really need it.

2 comments:

  1. Paige it goes to show that a little extra effort can go pretty far.. I guess if you believe in fate then the reason you met her was for this specific event... I'm sure you have been on the other end where you have helped out a friend, networking works both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige this is the reason why I hesitate to miss any event or networking opportunity. I never want to have a "what if" scenario happen where I don't meet that person who can help me. Kudos to your networking skillz.

    ReplyDelete