Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Is this world getting nuts?
























Those flash mob videos drive me crazy.

I feel that all the passengers on the street are being used by their craziness. Their shocking expressions are recorded and then the video is uploaded to YouTube or other social media for marketing purposes to generate the buzz. I admit that there are still some commending ideas coming out from the marketers to propagate good moves.

However, like “As seen on screen 'Carp' by Barry Yourgrau” mentioned, most of the videos from mobile marketing are “crap”(which I totally agree)! I figure since the internet costs nothing; it is so easy for marketers to take advantage of this communication tool. As marketing in heart, I cannot help but wondering: Does those crap videos add value to their brands? Does what they do be consistent to their brand positioning? Does the buzz help boost the sale?

If anyone of the answers above is “Yes”, then my next question will be: why is mobile marketing successful? Does “funny” always sell? Or “making fun of others” sells? Or just because people nowadays are getting nuts as long as something new can be sold?

I hope the mobile marketing can be inspired more high-quality and meaningful ideas in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Your picture is hilarious! The piano stairs were funny also. I think "funny" sells because generally speaking, in order for something to be funny it also has to be new. And because the net allows you to see so much media so quickly, we're used to always searching for new content to amuse us (regardless if it's tasteful or not).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic...

    I feel like mobile videos are less useful for formal marketing purposes than personal use, like sending something to a friend that only they'd really want to see. Trying to use it for other things often turns out to be, like you said, crap. Just my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it has something to do with our obsession with reality TV these days. We want to see funny and entertaining stuff happening to real people. Companies are aware of this and are taking full advantage of it. Sometime the crap videos have nothing to do with the brand but, if the video is entertaining somehow people will remember the brand and that’s all that matters.

    ReplyDelete